Pages

Saturday, October 6, 2007

What happened to my Princesses?

So Abby and Katelyn have been watching the movie "Mulan" a lot lately. One afternoon, they came into the room all dressed up in their princess outfits. I said, "Oh, what beautiful princesses you are!" To which Katelyn replied, "We're not princesses, Mommy, we're concubines." My jaw dropped, and my brow furrowed in surprise.

So I asked her politely, "Wherever did you hear that word, child?" And she told me, "From my Mulan movie." It was then that I remembered that the soldiers dress up as women to sneak into the palace to save the Emperor, and one of the guards makes a comment about "the concubines".

So I've decided to just ignore it, and hope it goes away. I'm not quite sure how to explain it in terms that a 3-year-old would understand...

I have thought, however, that this could be the start of a nice business venture. After all, Halloween is coming, and the concubine is greatly underrepresented in the world of children's costumes.

6 comments:

The Blaisdell Family said...

I loved this story the first time you told me and I still love it. My parents do too. They thought it was pretty funny! Gotta love kids and their comments. josh is always making us laugh.

Lyssa Beth said...

That is really funny! The things kids pick up!! Oh I miss your girls! It's not the same with out them :( Well I hope all is going well over there.

Michelle Cox said...

HA HA! I love Katelyn!!

The Kerr Family said...

Out of all the people to dress their daughters as concubines, somehow I wouldn't have picked you, you sassy thing! I love it.

THE ORMES said...

Tom and I got a good laugh out of that. Of all the things to pick up from the movie . . . concubines. Hilarious!!

Steph Taylor said...

I love it! I don't why the concubine isn't a more prevalent Halloween costume... :) I love that you finally blogged. I honestly look like everyday. I'm glad you're making progress. Love ya!